Today is one of the last days that Coach Dave Diamond will be coaching at our gym before he is stationed in another state. Dave has been an inspiration to all of us:
- He coaches the Crossfit Kids classes every Saturday – which my 4 year old attends and LOVES! My son talks about Coach Dave and Coach Karen all the time.
- He ran the Boston Marathon and was one of the 1st on the scene to help out victims – a true hero (seen here in red http://www.flickr.com/photos/hahatango/8654007868/)
- He is a beast when it comes to Crossfit – not much phases him and he does it all with ease.
- Above all he is down to earth and an all around good guy
So I thought I should make him a treat as a goodbye gift and I used this awesome recipe for a healthier version of Almond Joy Bars – http://friskylemon.com/2011/10/31/happy-halloween-healthy-almond-joy-bars/. It was super easy and delicious.
- 2 and 2/3 cups shredded coconut (I used this brand http://www.edwardandsons.com/ldo_shop_coconut.itml)
- 6 pastured egg whites
- 1/2 cup raw honey (some raw honeys can be very solid, try to find one that is a bit more runny)
- 30 or so Almonds
- Chocolate of your choice (1 bag of Enjoy Life Chips or couple of bars Sacred Chocolate)
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Whisk the 6 eggs whites together and until thoroughly mixed. Add the coconut and honey and combine.
- Once mixed form small cookies onto cookie sheet (I used a silpat sheet to avoid sticking). Add 2-3 on top almonds on top (or leave plain if you are going more for a mounds bar).
- Bake for 15- 20 minutes.
- While cookies are cooling, melt your chocolate. Use a double boiler if available. If not, microwave chocolate in a glass bowl on low for 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted.
- Pour on top of cookies and ENJOY!
Dave – hope you enjoy these and know we will miss you!